Hi, my name is Oyejobi Adeola and through the use of blogging, I continually generate thousands of naira per month from the comfort of my own home. In this guide, I will show you exactly what it takes to start a blog of your own today, while also walking you through the process of how to create content for your blog and even make some money in the process. If you follow along with everything I’ve broken down for you below, you should have a blog of your own up and running in less than 15 minutes.
Let’s get started!
HOW TO START A BLOG IN 3 SIMPLE STEPS
I wanted to make this process as simple and fast for you as possible, so I’ve broken it all down in three simple steps. Here’s what you will need to know before getting started.
- Select the Right Blogging Platform – This is how you will create a blog and new content for your site.
- Set up Your Domain Name and Hosting – These are required to make your site content accessible around the world.
- Creating a Blog with Purpose – Once your blog is live, I’ll show you how to make it look amazing and professional.
HOW TO CREATE A BLOG SITE THE EASY WAY
If some of these don’t make sense to you right now, don’t worry about it. I’m going to show you how simple it is to go live with a blog in just minutes, while also requiring no technical or programming skills.
Check out this post: How I make N50-100k per month with blogging without spending a dime.
STEP 1 – CHOOSING THE RIGHT BLOGGING PLATFORM
Starting a blog or a website today is much easier, faster and cheaper today than it was in previous years. This is mainly due to free software solutions becoming available that allow site owners to create content and go live with a site without the need to know any programming or have any design skills. In short, if you know how to type or send an email, you are more than well-equipped to start a blog of your own.
However, before going live with your blog, you need to know which blogging platform is best for you and your site. In the chart below you will see a breakdown of the most popular blogging content management systems being used today.
WORDPRESS IS THE BEST SOLUTION FOR STARTING A NEW BLOG.
As you can see from the visual above, WordPress is the clear winner. In comparison to the thousands of different site design editors, platforms and content management solutions on the internet today, more than 26% of all sites on the internet use WordPress (just like this website is also using WordPress).
So what does this mean for you? In short… WordPress is going to make your life and blogging a whole lot easier.
Here are a few reasons why you will love using WordPress:
- It’s 100% Free – Amazingly enough, one of the most powerful software solutions in the world today is 100% free! No gimmicks, no up-sells… just free.
- Extremely Easy for Beginners – WordPress has become one of the most popular platforms in the world today not only because it’s free, but also because it’s so easy to use. Instead of requiring site owners to use custom designs or programming, there are thousands of free WordPress Themes and Plugins that you can use to customize all aspects of your blog.
- Free Resources, Guides and Community Support – With WordPress being used by so many websites, you can pretty much find any resources, guides, tutorials or support that you need. In addition to the free sources found on the main WordPress site, you will also find endless resources on other blogging resources sites.
- WordPress Looks Great on Mobile – With more people using their mobile devices to access the internet than ever before, it’s important to make sure your blog looks great on all devices as well. This is another area that WordPress has you taken care of. Create a blog in minutes and your site and content will look great on desktops, tablets, mobile devices and more.
- WordPress is Huge! – WordPress has been downloaded over 100 million times and is the software of choice by millions of bloggers and many of the top blogs in the world today, such as TED, NBA Sports, CNN, and TechCrunch. Best of all… it’s free to use!
Now that you’ve seen why and how WordPress is being used to make blogging and site creation so easy, let’s move along in the process and get you started with a site of your own. The next step in the process is to select a hosting provider and pick a great domain name for your site. This is one of my favorite parts when launching a new site or blog!
STEP 2 – SELECTING YOUR DOMAIN NAME AND BLOG HOSTING
With WordPress being selected as our blogging platform, it’s now time to set up the other two most important factors to getting your blog live:
- A Domain Name – This is the address you type in whenever you want to visit a site. (www.name.com)
- A Hosting Provider – This is the service that places your site content on the internet for others to see.
Again, even if you never created a website or blog before, don’t worry! The process of setting these up is extremely simple and once it’s done, you won’t need to mess around with any of these settings again.
HOW TO GET A FREE DOMAIN NAME
Anyone can register a domain name. The toughest part is simply coming up with an original name that isn’t already registered yet. On average, domain names will cost around $6 or N2160 per year to register. However, I was able to get an amazing promotion from my recommended web host, HostBlast, where they will give you a free domain name if you set up a web hosting plan today. Not only do I recommend Bluehost, WordPress recommends them as well!
In addition to a free domain name, when you setup your hosting with hostblast, you will also receive premium hosting for just pennies per day. This will also allow you to setup a unique email account for your site as well (such as email@example.com), which is a lot more professional than a free Yahoo, Hotmail or Gmail account. It’s all very easy to setup once setup with Hostblast.
How to Pick a Great Domain Name
With all of that in mind, here are a few tips on how to pick a great domain name for your blog.
- Keep it short and simple
- Stay away from numbers and dashes
- Pick a name that is easy to spell and memorable
- Don’t use any copyright or trademarked names
- Use keywords that are relevant to your topic
- Stick with a .com, .net or .org domain extension
- If it’s available, always try to register YourName.com
Thousands of domain names are registered every day, so if you keep finding that your requested domain name is already taken, don’t get discouraged. If you can’t think of anything unique, I always recommend seeing if your personal name is available as a domain. This is always good to try and register, as it likely won’t be available forever!
Which extension should you pick for your domain name?
Also, when choosing a domain name, you will have a few different options as for the type of domain extension you want to use. The ‘.com’ is always going to be the most popular, followed by ‘.net’ and then ‘.org’. However, there are many other extensions to choose from — though I recommend you stick with any of the three mentioned here. They are the most professional and well-known around the world.
Very exciting! We decided on using WordPress as our blogging platform and also know how to setup hosting and selecting a domain name for your site. Now it’s time to bring it all together and put it in motion.
MY STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE TO GOING LIVE WITH YOUR BLOG
As mentioned at the beginning of this guide, I want to make this is as easy for you to set up as possible, so I went through the process myself and did a few screen captures along the way. Now you can follow along here as a reference when you are setting up your hostblast account and blog.
FIRST, CLICK THIS LINK WWW.HOSTBLAST.ONLINE TO OPEN A NEW BROWSER TAB.
After clicking the link, you should see the hostblast site (like the screenshot above).
Next, click on the big green button that says “Get Started Now“.
You will then be sent to a page where you can choose your hosting plan. (shown below)
There are four different hosting plans you can choose from. The ‘bronze’ plan is more than enough for most site owners and bloggers to get started with, and the monthly cost is as low as $0.50 ( N180) per month. If you’d like to create more than one website or blog in the future, the “Platinum” plan is a better option.
After selecting your hosting package, you can then grab your free domain name. Simply type in a domain name you’d like to use and if it’s available, then click the “next” button. If your domain name in unavailable, keep coming up with new names until you find a good one that available.
If you already have a domain name with another provider like GoDaddy or Namecheap, you can use the “i have a domain name’ option instead.
Once you’ve completed the domain name process, it’s time to fill in your account details.
After filling in all of your personal details, you can scroll down the page and you will see the ‘package information’ section. This is where you will see everything included within your hosting, along with different options for upgrades, add-ons or saving money with an extended hosting plan.
In the screenshot image below you will notice that we went with the 36-month plan. This might seem like a lot of time at first, but it will save you the most money when creating your hosting account. If you go with a shorter time period, it will cost more than $0.5 per month, which is why I recommend going with that time period.
Also, be sure to uncheck any of the pre-checked boxes in this section, as most site owners and bloggers won’t need them, and they are an additional cost you don’t need to spend money on right now. These options can also be added at a later time if you feel the need for them.
Next, we need to complete the payment section to finalize your hosting account.
Check off that you agree to Hostblast’s terms and then click the green submit button to continue.
Congratulations! Your purchase is now complete and we can move forward with going live with your blog.
After clicking the ‘submit’ button, you will then see a “welcome to hostblast’ message that confirms your account is now live and that a message has been sent to your email account. This email will contain information about your account and how to login to your member’s area (which we will do next).
Next, click on the icon that says “Install WordPress” to start the blog creation process. But before that, just click on your domain name and you will see this;
Login to your cpanel and hover to Softwares
Then you will see this next page
Click on Install now and you will see this image below;
Then distort any changes there, the only things you need to change are
Choose Installation Url, make it to “http” alone, then after the admin username and admin password also need to be changed.
And boom, you are done installing wordpress.
Check out this post: How I make N50-100k per month with blogging without spending a dime.